Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas + Thanksgiving Wrap Up

So I'm still fairly behind with blogging since I did such a crummy job at it for a good six weeks, so here's a bit of a quick update of what's been going on lately.


First off, our family once again did a lot of pies on Thanksgiving. It was amazingly delicious. We usually get tiny slices of each pie so we can sample them all. In the future, we may have to vomit the pies halfway through so that we have enough stomach space for all of them. Sort of like the spitting up whine thing you do when you go whine testing.

Also, my grades just came back, and I received my all time lowest grades ever in all of history. A C+ and a B-. And you know what? I don't even care anymore. I graduate in four months, I have a job offer, and I don't have to worry about keeping my GPA up for scholarship anymore. So why worry, right?

In related news, my brother who just returned from a mission in Japan has informed me that I'm taking a giant dump on every last vestige of Asian left in my blood. I should note that my other younger brother, who I've been living with for the last semester, has just barely received his mission call to Japan. For those keeping score at home, here's where we stand:
  • Dad: served in Hokkaido, Japan
  • Mom: from Tokyo, Japan
  • Younger brother 1: served in Kobe, Japan
  • Younger brother 2: going to serve in Fukuoka, Japan
  • Younger brothers 3 & 4: almost certainly going to serve in Japan. Probably the Nagoya and Sedai missions, so that we end up covering the whole country with Low family shenanigans.
  • Me: Little Rock, Arkansas.

Am I ashamed? Of course not. I learned how to deep fry stuff. And as any stateside missionary will tell you, "stateside is the best side."

Now, for Christmas, I got a graphics tablet. I'm really excited about it, but I'm still learning how to draw things. You might think that art skills would translate to drawing on a tablet super quick, but it doesn't. You have to look at a computer screen instead of your hand, and you still have to learn how to do Photoshop and stuff. I'll probably be illustrating this blog using the tablet from here on out. Even though I'm fairly slow with it, it's still faster than MS Paint or using the sketch app on the iPad. Hey, here's a picture I drew earlier for practice!

"I AM ZIIIMMMM!!!"

As you can see, my drawing on the left is kinda sloppy when compared to the source material on the right. So we'll see what happens from here on out.

Finally, I think I would be remiss if I didn't put up a list of what I was grateful for this last Thanksgiving. I've done it for the last two Thanksgivings, and I feel like it's a good tradition. I know it's super late, so maybe we'll just call it a Christmas List of Thankfulness. A Christfulness? Thankmas?

I'll figure it out. It will be its own post though.


6 comments:

  1. You have Japanese blood. You were born in Japan. There's nothing else Asian about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch.

    On a similar note, one time my family was at a Japanese restaurant. All of us love the food, except my brother. Halfway through the meal, he burst into tears and exclaimed, "I'm not Asian enough!" Poor kid. This post reminded me of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what kind of tablet? I tried a Bamboo this Christmas, but failed. I prefer my iPad (Brand new! I know, I'm behind.). In any case, you seem to be doing lots better than I was. I'm just hoping it's due to tablet differences and isn't just because I'm stupid.

    On another side note, I finally can play Draw Something, and I got my whole family hooked. They loved your Draw Something posts. My mom was also particularly fond of the YOLO post. New fans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a Monoprice tablet (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=6814&CAWELAID=1329453800&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPitmri2yrQCFSPhQgod4i4A-A) it was only $50. There's definitely a learning curve I'm still trying to figure out because it takes some extra hand eye coordination to look at a screen instead of your hand when drawing. I hear that it's really just lots of practice and zooming in to cover up the inprecision of using a tablet.

      Also, thanks for the new fans! If you find me on Draw Something, I'll definitely play you. But I have to give a disclaimer: I don't respond to new drawings that quickly.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the feeling of not caring about grades because graduation is coming!! I just had the exact same kind of semester as you.

    ReplyDelete