Saturday, September 24, 2011

Object Lessons Make Sunday School Exciting

As some of you may know, I used to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher in my single's ward, and I absolutely loved my calling.  I didn't have to worry about getting people to church, I didn't have to go to any special meetings, and I didn't have to bug people about getting their home teaching done.  While on the flip-side, I got the opportunity to interact with members of the congregation and teach lessons, which is something I enjoy doing.

I had an absolute blast with my Sunday school lessons and I hope the people in my class did as well.  I believe that students can tell when their teacher is excited about their subject matter, and that energy rubs off on the students.

I tend to incorporate a lot of pictures, stories, and other attention activities into my lessons; since I always had a tough time paying attention in Sunday School.  Recently I found an object lesson that went along perfectly with a lesson I was teaching on the resurrection of Christ.


I got to the point in my lesson where two angels declare to Mary Magdalene and the other women that Jesus "is not here, but is risen."

The manual points out that President Howard W. Hunter said that those words "contain all the hope, assurance, and belief necessary to sustain us in our challenging and sometimes grief-filled lives."  To illustrate this point, I pulled out a crisp 50 dollar bill that I had withdrawn from the bank a few days earlier:

[Yes, I am aware that that is a 20 dollar bill.  I didn't feel like getting another $50 for the blog.  So use your imagination.]

I asked the class, "who would like $50?"  And of course, most people responded that they would enjoy having an extra $50 in their pocket.

"Well what if I were to wrinkle the bill into a tiny little ball like this?" I said.


The class said that they would still want the money.

"What if I were to stomp the money into the ground and rub on the floor?"


The chorus came again: "I still want it!"

"Well, okay then.  You're making me pull out the big guns."




That's right: Taco Bell Hot Sauce. The class's reaction to this was particularly awesome. I pulled out a paper towel and wiped the excess hot sauce off the bill.  I then held it up--wrinkled, dirty and wet--and asked "who still wants this?"

A few class members said they would still take the money.

"Okay then, you've left me no choice," I sighed.



The class just stared at me in shock.  I remember one of them saying "NOO!"

I asked one last time if anyone still wanted the money.  A few class members said yes, and then another class member said, "No, stop saying you want it! He might light it on fire next!"

I asked someone in the front row why they still wanted the mangled bill.  They said it was because it's still worth $50 to the bank, which is true.

Now let's apply this to the Resurrection with a story.

President Monson once told a story about a time he was in a priesthood leadership meeting with his former stake president, President Child.  President Child was known for his deep knowledge of the scriptures and his probing questions.  When it was his turn to speak, he quoted a well known scripture from Doctrine and Covenants section 18.  If you know your D & C fairly well, you know that the scripture says that "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God."

I'm quoting President Monson's talk now:

"He [President Child] then turned to one elders quorum president and asked, 'What is the worth of a soul?'"

"The stunned quorum president hesitated as he formulated his reply.  I had a prayer in my heart that he would be able to answer the question.  He finally responded, 'The worth of a soul is its capacity to become as God.'"

"Brother Child closed his scriptures, walked solemnly and quietly up the aisle and back to the stand.  As he passed by me, he said, "A most profound reply."- ("Our Sacred Priesthood Trust," April General Conference, Priesthood session.)


In other words, the true worth of a soul isn't who you are now, but it is the potential of what you can become.
In Senatobia, Mississippi, I knew a man who worked for the Federal Reserve.  One day, he brought a giant bag of shredded money to a dinner party we were having.  See, when a bill becomes too worn out for the banks to use, they send it to the Federal Reserve, which shreds the money into hundreds of tiny pieces.


The bag likely had well over $1,000 in it.  The man told me that if anyone were to put a bill completely back together, with the same serial number and everything, the Government would be legally obligated to accept it as legal tender.  This is why the Fed shreds the money into such small pieces.

We as people can be a lot like paper money.  No matter how ripped, wrinkled, or stained that fifty dollar bill was; it was still worth fifty dollars.  And no matter how broken, messed up, or scarred your life is; it is still immensely valuable to our Heavenly Father.

Do not forget that in your dark moments!  You may feel worthless, but to God your worth is infinite.  No matter where you are in your life, He still wants you to return to live with him.  That's the wonderful miracle of the resurrection and the atonement of Jesus Christ: every single thing that was ever wrong on this world can be set right through Christ.  What a wonderfully comforting thought that is.


14 comments:

  1. If I were you I would have taken it outside afterwards, Then burn it in some yard...
    See the reactions anywhere but the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember that lesson... it was awesome (: miss you jlowww

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacob..
    It's John here.. after so many months..
    Nice example in your object lesson..
    I agree that our mangled lives can be set right because of the perfect sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We can enter the kingdom of God by faith in Jesus Christ, by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit..
    Our lives can be set on fire by the power of the Spirit.
    Just a point though with your object lesson, you chose a 'crisp' $50 bill and then mangled and nearly stripped it of its worth. The last step would have been to set it on fire completely removing any value that the money had to begin with..
    The point being, aren't we born sinners, aren't we under the wrath of God from day one, aren't our lives already mangled from the day we are born. Or in this object lesson are we to believe we start out perfect and then slowly over time lose our state of perfectness.
    According to God, we are in this sinfilled state from our conception and the only way to free from this sinful state and God's wrath is through the atonement of sin carried out by Jesus on the cross. Literally we need to be set on fire by the Spirit of God to refine us, to remove the sin in our lives and free us that sin and subsequent death.

    Also I'm curious about what the President Child meant when he said, 'The worth of a soul is its capacity to become as God.'"
    Is it true that we can become as God and that we have the capacity to do so? Or do we need Jesus, who was the perfect lamb of God, to restore our life with God?
    Anyway.. Let me know what you think?
    Cheers
    P.S You got amazing skill with a pencil, why not use it to give God the glory in your life..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey John! It has been awhile!

    We believe that children are born without sin, and that everyone is held accountable for their own sins (Ezekiel 18:19-21). Of course we all sin and stumble and make numerous mistakes every day, so I wouldn't say that we slowly lose our state perfectness--that happens pretty rapidly. And that's where repentance through Christ comes in.

    In regards to President Child's comment, we believe the scriptures that state that we can become joint-heirs with Christ (Acts 17:27-29, Romans 8:16-17, 2 Corinthians 3:18, Galatians 4:7, 1 John 3:2). We do believe that we need Jesus to restore our life with God, and that we can become 'like' God. In no way do we believe that we will ever supplant or replace God, but that we will be worshiping Him and Christ throughout all eternity. Yes, I know that could be a hard pill to swallow. But as always, I'm not asking anyone to agree with my beliefs, just understand them.

    Thanks for complimenting my artistic skills. I have done some religious art in the past, but those have been copies of other artists' paintings. I posted about it previously on the blog ("My Art Skills Have Improved," "Some of My Artwork"). However, I recently completed a fairly large religious project that I'll be posting about on here shortly. I'm just waiting for some printing to be completed. So yeah, stay tuned!

    -Jacob Low

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still let me know what you think..?

    Man cannot attain to status of God..

    We need Jesus Christ to establish us in the Kingdom of God..

    Cheers Jacob..
    I think you now know the truth and will either challenge your position in the LDS church or ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit...
    Keep searching for the truth.. It will set you free..
    Remember just because we believe something, doesn't mean that it is true.. Unless it is God who said it. Be careful prophets/men can lie but God doesn't..
    By the way, I'll keep following your blogs to see how you're going..
    In Christ and in love John

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, the truth is that it is the Holy Spirit that keeps me in the LDS church. When I first prayed to know what the truth is, I got more than a prompting--I got a pretty good shove from the spirit.

    I don't appreciate my church being called a lie, and its leaders liars; and I'm not looking to switch religions anytime soon. Nearly every good thing that has happened in my life has come through my church, and the witnesses I've had for it are many.

    Like I've said previously, I never expected anyone to agree with what I believe, but I do want some respect for my beliefs.

    -Jacob Low

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and writing this blog. I trully appreciate the passion and focus you have for defending your religion..
    All the same..

    - The Presdient Child used the same arguement that Satan used in the garden of Eden with Eve..

    with respect..
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. And the truth is that Satan wasn't being entirely dishonest when he said that. Man did become more like God after the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:22 "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil;"). The lie was in telling Eve that she would not die.

    But anyway, I didn't start this blog to debate or even defend my church. I'm happy to answer honest sincere questions, but I'm not having an argument with anyone online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should clarify that the point of my last comment wasn't that Satan is a trustworthy source of information, or that Mormons follow him. That would be ridiculous and naive in the extreme to think so. The point is that man can in fact become more like God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacob-I noticed your response about having respect for "your" beliefs (church aside). Why do you believe it is a respectful thing to use children as a form of "scapegoats" by baptizing them repeatedly to save the souls of the dead? Approximately every 10-15 seconds they are being immersed in a baptismal with a base made up of a dozen or more bulls around the outer edge. Is it respectful to say that Jesus and Satan are both sons of the Living God? Where is that in the Holy Bible? Is it respectful to ask people to believe that we are going to live on a planet that is not mentioned anywhere in the Holy Bible? Is it respectful to say that ALL the people who lived before Joseph Smith (like barely 200 years ago) who had no knowledge of LDS are just poor slobs who are going to hell? Oh wait, that's where we use children as "sin eaters" to atone for their souls and dunk them in bull pits. No, I have NO respect for what you believe. I have dismay and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you feel that way Diane. Looking at religion objectively, many Christian teachings sound ridiculous to anyone that is a non-believer. Isn't it funny that one Christian would criticize another Christian's beliefs because they sound far-fetched?

    Arguments:

    1. Baptism for the dead is a principle taught in the New Testament
    2. The Bible is not a book per say...it's a collection of books, but does not contain all sacred writings nor does it contain all of the teachings of the gospel. There are many prophets quoted in the New Testament that are not found elsewhere in the Bible. Paul also mentions other epistles he wrote that are not found in today's Bible. The doctrines of the Bible differ depending on the language and translation, thus not all bibles can be 100% correct if they teach conflicting doctrines.
    3. The Mormon church's claim to be a restored church having modern prophets and revelation nullifies any argument claiming their that any given piece of doctrine not found in the Bible is incorrect. If God didn't need to continue to teach his children and remind them of lost doctrines, he could have had Adam write everything down and not have needed to call any other other prophets until Christ came.
    4. What about all of the people that died at the time of the flood? Could it be that they ALL had strayed from the path?
    5. Becoming like God. There is no indication anywhere in the Mormon scriptures that man will ever worship anyone other than God the father and Jesus Christ. There is also nothing in the scriptures saying that anyone will have his own planet to rule over. The scriptures do say that we can become joint heirs with Christ (who gives all glory to the father) and that we are commanded to be perfect even as our father which is in heaven is perfect. This does not change the necessity of living the gospel of Jesus Christ in order to receive salvation nor should it diminish the Father's glory or that of the Son. I think what President Child was teaching is that although we have flaws, we have a great potential to fulfill the commandment of Christ to be perfect as our Father is perfect and to be joint heirs with Christ.

    ReplyDelete