Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dear Future Me

So, a little while ago, I was going through some of my old stuff when I came across something interesting: a letter addressed to myself. It said "Open in 2012."

I thought for a second, and then I remembered. Back about five years or so ago, my high school made me and a bunch of other kids write letters to ourselves. It was one of those experimental programs that made you set goals and had pillars of excellence or some other type of educational mumbo-jumbo that sounds good on paper.

I was impatient and decided to open the letter and read it right then:

Dear Future me,


I thought, "Wow, it's like I'm hearing a voice crying from the dust--a specter from the past speaking from beyond the grave!"

Well, I really don't want to write this. I think this class is pretty stupid. In order to fill out more time and make it look like I'm busy, let's talk about stuff that's just as meaningless as this class.




So last night I was watching Heroes. Do you remember that show? It was a pretty good episode. I like that TV series a lot right now.


"Oh yeah, I do remember that show. I used to love that show!"

"Too bad it only had one good season and then got canceled while I was on a mission."










For those that didn't know, I am a Mormon, so I did that whole two-year mission deal. I left college after freshmen year to go preach the gospel to people across the southern United States. Yes, it doesn't make any sense to do professionally.  I had to go through the process of putting a scholarship on hold, and play catch up on all the stuff I had forgotten during those two years. 

But if I could go back, would I change my decision? Not a chance.



In the end, I realized the financially responsible thing to do would be to go to a school that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I ended up never applying, even though the school sent me a couple of letters. I think my counselor was slightly disappointed.


Ouch.















4 comments: