Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Accountability Time

Given that we're a whole month into the new year, I figure it's time to give you an update on how I'm doing with my five new year's resolutions (which you can read about here).

Work out for 30 Minutes Three Times a Week -- A-

I'm doing pretty good with this one.  I've figured out my schedule so that I can make time for exercising on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  I was worried that I wouldn't have time to do this because of my increasingly demanding studies, but I have figured out a solution that I will get to later.

I gave myself an A-minus because of the hardcore fail so far in achieving my vision:




But did anyone really expect that to happen in one month?

Read The Book of Mormon in 100 Days -- A+ 

I am about 30 days into my challenge, and am currently slightly ahead of schedule (Mosiah 13, page 172).  I'm pretty happy about that.  I haven't yet set aside a consistent time to read everyday, so I often find myself reading in between classes and during lunch.

I give myself extra credit for having a special highlighting system for this read.  Right before I started, I picked up a blank, hardcover copy of The Book of Mormon from the BYU Bookstore.  I decided that I would highlight the following:
  • Any reference to Jesus Christ or God the Father (including pronouns) in Green
  • Any communication from Heaven (angels, signs, prophets, voices, etc.) in Blue
  • Anything mankind does to merit this communication (praying, showing faith, obeying commandments) in Red
By doing this, I've been able to find a lot of if/then statements throughout the BofM that I might of otherwise missed, such as the relationship between Lehi's prayers and his vision that is found in 1 Nephi chapter one.  I'll likely blog about this more in the future.

Earn at Least a B+ in All My Classes -- B (wait for it. . .) Plus

It's pretty hard to judge this one right now given that none of my grades have come out and that we haven't even gotten to midterms yet, but I can make a couple of observations.

I totally Jimmered my finance test with a 99percent, but I BYU-Football-at-the-start-of-last-seasoned'd my Business Grammar exam with a 77percent.  I heard later that the average for that test was 76.8 percent, so I at least beat the curve.

I've been able to do this by staying on campus from 9:30 AM to about 7:00 PM every day.  I'm even studying while exercising in the mornings (I seem to remember what I read better when I'm on an elliptical machine anyway).

Give at Least Five Compliments a Day -- C-

It's pretty hard to keep track of this, but if I were to estimate, I would say I'm averaging about 2-3 compliments a day--and that's being generous. 

Thing is, I don't want to become a person who gives out compliments just because I said that I need to give out compliments.  I want to do this so that I get better at seeing the good in others, and because I like to make people happy.

Cut Back on The Mormon Swears -- [What the] F!!!!

I still say fetch, fudge, eff, shiz, and the rest of the classics like a Sailor on basic cable.  I've realized that cutting back doesn't happen naturally, so I need to find some way to motivate myself.  I'm thinking that maybe I should get my roommate to punch me in the arm every time I say a Mormon cuss--a la 'Best Two Years.'  That could end poorly, but I can't think of any better ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment