Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's in a Name?

I decided to write another spiritual post on here, since it appears that the ones I've written in the past have been getting abnormally high amounts of traffic lately.

One of the things I noticed as a missionary was that missionary apartments had a way of collecting weird objects.  I don't know why, but I think that it has something to do with "one man's garbage is another man's treasure," or something like that.  Here are a few examples of what I found over the course of two years:
- A collection of empty bottles of chocolate milk forming a pyramid
- Copies of the LDS Church's 'Ensign' magazine dating back to the early 80's
- Happy meal toys found on the sidewalk
- Tech-Deck fingerboards
- An awful orange corduroy couch from the 70's that was falling apart
- A makeshift weight bar constructed from a broomstick and milk cartons filled with water, all held together by ratty socks

My favorite random missionary apartment item, though, would have to be the giant dictionary in the Jonesboro, AR apartment.  This is the kind of dictionary that English teachers keep on a pedastel at the front of the classroom, and that you could use as a bench-press if you wanted to.  It was unabridged and was originally published in the later 70's.

One day I was bored and decided to start browsing the dictionary.  After looking up a couple of different words, I thought it would be fun to look up my own name (Elder Jacob Low).  This was a dictionary that was comprehensive enough to list "An office of the Priesthood in the Mormon Church" under the definition of "Elder."

Jacob, as you know, comes from the Biblical character in Genesis, and the name means "a supplanter," or "usurper: one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another."  In the Bible, Esau believes Jacob supplanted his birthright as well as his blessing, which is why he angrily exclaims "is not he rightly named Jacob?  for he hath supplanted me these two times!" - Genesis 27:36

...But what really took the cake was the definition of "Low."  This dictionary had over 50 different definitions of the word, taking up an entire column.  Here are some of my favorites, along with my thoughts on them:

 1. Not high or tall.
(Can't really argue with that one.  At least I'm not the shortest [I'm wearing the red tie].)

2. Situated or passing below the normal level or surface (isn't this kinda the same thing?).

3. Not loud.

4. Humble in status (sort of a compliment except for the 'in status' part).

5. Weak, also: depressed (Ouch).

6. Stricken, prostrate.

7. Less than usual in number, amount or value; also: of lesser degree than average.

8. Falling short of standard (Somebody get some ice for that burn!).

9. Unfavorable.

10. Providing little nourishment or strength, as a diet


 (now I feel like you're insulting my figure, as well as what I eat.  That's low, man)

11. Of inferior quality or character.

12. Mean, base, disreputable (you've hurt my feelings and now I'm crying.).

13. Struck or delivered below a contestant's belt [in boxing] (It's hard to hit above the belt when you're "not high or tall")

14. Dead (Whaaa...?  Is this some kind of threat?)

So yeah, that's the name I wore on my nametag for two years.  Elder Low.  I have a wonderful legacy.  Anyway, everbody's name has divers meanings attatched to them--mine just happens to be more conspicuous than most peoples'.  I bring all this up so that we can compare and contrast in just a moment.

Now let's switch to a different dictionary and a different name:

"Christ: The anointed (Gk.) or Messiah (Heb.).  Jesus, who is called Christ, is the firstborn of the Father in the spirit and the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh.  He is Jehovah, and was foreordained to his great calling...before the world was.

"...He lived a sinless life, and wrought out a perfect atonement for all mankind by the shedding of his blood and his death on the cross.

"...brought to pass the bodily resurrection of every living thing and the salvation and exaltation of the faithful.

"He is the greatest Being to be born on this earth--the perfect example--...He is Lord of lords, King of kings, the Creator, the Savior, the God of the whole earth, the Captain of our salvation, the Bright and Morning Star.

"....His name is above every name, and is the only name under heaven by which we can be saved..."


(LDS Bible Dictionary, pg. 633, emphasis added).



Beautiful, isn't it?  That's quite a stark contrast from the definition of my name.  Webster's Dictionary would be quite a page turner if every definition was this eloquent.

So like I was saying earlier, I wore the name "ELDER LOW" in big bold letters on my shirt pocket everyday for two years.  But underneath that were the words "The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints."  Emphasis was put on "Jesus Christ,"  making it the second most visible part of my nametag.  I wore that name everyday for two years as well.  If I were to engage in some disorderly conduct and someone saw it, I promise you that one of the first things they would notice is the name on shirt pocket.  That person's opinion of that name and everything it represented would likely have been greatly diminished.



Now, I may have taken upon myself the name of Christ in a more conspicuous manner, but everyone who has been baptized has taken upon themselves the name of Christ in a much nore meaningful way:

8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
 9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
 10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
-Mosiah 18: 8-10 (emphasis added)

These verses display some of the promises that we make when we are baptized, and is one of many examples in the scriptures where the importance of taking upon yourself the name of the Lord is mentioned.  Alma 5 and Kings Benjamin's address in Mosiah 2-4 are two other excellent examples found in the Book of Mormon. 

What does it mean to take upon yourself the name of Christ?  It means that you covenant that you will "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death."  In other words: you might as well be wearing a nametag that says 'Jesus Christ' on it all day long.

How do you think the Savior feels when people do stupid stuff in his name?  Could it be possible that this is one of the ways that we break the third commandment?

I would like to challenge you to remember that you are a representitive of Jesus Christ, and that there are people who are looking to you as an example.  Please, please, please don't anything to tarnish the name you carry.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when you said some of that in your talk. Good talk. I like the addition of pictures on this one. Thanks for the great blog post; it gave me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! It's really theraputic to share stuff like this, even if not many people ever read it. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete