Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ode to Taco Bell

So yesterday I was sitting in the BYU Cougareat enjoying my new favorite food ever: The XXL Chalupa (with Chicken) from Taco Bell.


Look at that thing.... This contains a double helping of meat (only a couple other items at Taco Bell contain a double serving of meat; one of them is the 700+ calorie Grilled Stuff Burrito).  On top of the meat you got nacho cheese, red strips, sour cream, three cheese blend, lettuce, and some fiesta salsa, all in between an extra large deep fried flatbread shell.  This basically contains all the stuff you get in two chalupas inside of one giant, deep fried shell.  That's significant, because my regular Taco Bell lunch consists of two Baja Chicken Chalupas (no drink, I go with just plain water) for the price of about $6.50.  Now I can get basically the same thing for the price of about $4.50! Bwaahaaha.

Now, you're probably asking why I know so much about Taco Bell and why I seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with it.  Allow me to elaborate.

When I first got to BYU as a freshmen in 07', one of the first things I did was seek out a job.  I went and applied at the BYU Cougareat--the cafeteria in the Student Center on campus.  I was kind of hoping that I'd get to work in the Subway, but it wasn't meant to be.  The Taco Bell was really busy and needed some help, so I got put to work there right on the spot.  I was put on cashier duty, having never eaten at a Taco Bell in my life up to this point in time.  Needless to say, that first day was pretty rough  ("Gordita?  Enchurito?  Mexican Pizza?  I'm pretty sure y'all are making up names now.").
This is a painting of me working at Taco Bell.  I created it myself.

But I soon came to love the job and the food there.  One of the best perks about working at the Cougareat is that you get a card that allows you to get half off of anything there up to $6.  That means I saved $90 a month on food!  And I probably ate the Chalupas at Taco Bell three times a week.  Everyone that worked there knew that I had a thing for the deep fried goodness that is the Chalupa.  When it finally came time for me to quit my job and go on a mission, the manager of TB gave me a going away present--A Giant Freakin' Chalupa!  This thing was seriously the size of a pizza.  It was so exciting.

This is a photograph of me with my giant chalupa. 

Now whenever I eat a XXL Chalupa, I think back on that wonderful day that I was presented the giant, pizza-sized gift that I ate all by myself. Yeah, I have a TB addiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment