Monday, March 14, 2011

Sooooo. . . . .

I'm giving my fifth talk within six months in Sacrament meeting this weekend.  In the year leading up to my mission, I gave five talks.  And while on a mission, I gave somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-18 talks.  So lets do some math:

5 + 17 (best guess) + 5 = 27 talks given since September 2007

Sundays since September 2007 =  (52 * 3) + 26 (1/2 of a year) = 182 Sundays

182 Sundays - 48 fast and testimony meetings - 7 General Conference Sundays - 6 Primary and Christmas programs =  121 potential Sundays where I could have spoken

27/121 = .223

.223 * 100 = 22.3% chance that I will be talking in the Sacrament meeting I attend.

22.3 percent!  I don't think that even the Bishop speaks that often in Sacrament meeting.  This percentage would make sense if I was in a branch that only had five members, but I have never been in a ward that had less than 100 people attending it. 

Now, in all fairness, missionaries do get asked to speak a lot.  And they do have to give homecoming and farewell talks.  But I read a friend's Facebook status just yesterday that stated that she's giving her first talk in church in over four years. I couldn't help but wonder if I have some sort of target on my back when I go to church.

By the way, who decided on the carpet colors in LDS Chapels?

P.S.  Don't get me wrong--I really don't mind giving talks in church.  I just don't know why it happens so often.

1 comment:

  1. For real, these posts make my life so much better. I was feeling pretty blah about this week, and have been super stressed. And then I read this. Thanks for the much needed laugh (and who DOES pick the carpet colors?).

    ReplyDelete