Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kony 2012

(Edit August 2012: I regretted posting this video almost immediately after I posted it. I'm still embarrassed that I fell for the hype [even if it was only cautiously optimistic hype]. But, I figured it's worth keeping up here, for historical reasons. However, I still stand by what I said earlier--that their are still people willing to work for a good cause. The most important thing that came out of Kony 2012, in my opinion, is that it showed us how powerful the internet has become in mobilizing us. I hope that social media will continue to be used as a tool to connect people and causes together.)


Just so you know, you may be seeing a lot more of this guy really soon. Hopefully he becomes as famous as George Clooney.



Why? Watch the video below:


TooLong;Didn'tWatch: Joseph Kony is a horrible war criminal who needs to be brought to justice and we, the people are going to make it happen this year. You can go to his Wikipedia page to learn more about him or to Kony 2012 to learn how to do more.

Now, I don't care if you actually do anything. I myself am probably not going to be among the crowd that goes out all night long putting up posters. In fact, I'm probably not going to give any money to invisible children. I just want you to know who he is. I just want you to know that when you see the bracelets and the posters and the young activists shouting slogans, that this isn't just some hip fad.

I want you to know that the people putting up the posters are working to make the world a better place.

In an age when politics have become ridiculously divisive, and when most political rallies focus on what we don't have, or how horrible our country is, I want you to know that there are people out there who actually care about deeper issues, the global community, and the welfare of those they will never meet. Remember that. Sure, this video may be an oversimplification of some very complicated issues in Africa, but I think it is a much more worthy cause than, say Occupy Wall Street or One Million Moms.

However, I do want to add a caution, the moment this campaign revolves around Kony 2012 and not around Joseph Kony, it will turn into a meaningless fad.

1 comment:

  1. I like to realize that the video is exactly 1 second shorter than 30:00

    ReplyDelete