Friday, August 10, 2012

Check Out This Video I Made at My Internship

So I don't think I've mentioned this on the blog yet, but I've been working as an intern during the summer at a company called Packsize. Basically, it's a box company. I know that sounds super boring, but it's really a lot more than that. It's a little hard to explain, so I'll try to illustrate it below.

But first, I want to show you this video project I managed at my internship. It's designed to help educate the public on how smaller packages can help save the environment. Please give it a watch, comment on here and on YouTube, and LIKE the video!



Alright, if you'd like to know more, here's a more in-depth explanation of how Packsize works:

Imagine you're the warehouse manager for a large internet-based company that ships a variety of products. A company like Amazon or Zappos. How many different sized boxes do you carry?

Keep in mind that there is a trade off here. Because empty space in a box has to be filled with packing peanuts or those plastic airbags (which cost money and pollute the environment), and because shipping fees are based in part on the size of the package, you have an incentive to have many different box sizes so that you can fit your products in the smallest possible box.

On the other hand, the more box sizes you carry, the more boxes you'll have to order, the more time your employees spend looking for the right box, and the more space in your warehouse is take up by cardboard.

Long story short, no matter how many box sizes you get, you're probably going to end up with a lot empty space. In fact, it's estimated that 40% of everything shipped is empty space.

So, the Packsize way of doing stuff is much simpler. We provide cardboard and a machine that can print a box of any size instantaneously. This clears up a bunch of inventory space that would be taken up by boxes, reduces the amount of cardboard needed, and the space taken up by each package. In the end, everyone wins. Businesses save money, the environment receives less pollution, and you the consumer don't have to throw away a massive box with tons of air pillows.

Thanks guys! I'll post more of my projects as they become available.

No comments:

Post a Comment